Thursday, April 18, 2013

Are Space Camp T-shirts sexist?


Recently, someone spotted that the website Space Camp was selling sexists T-shirts.  I took a close look at this, and yes, Space Camp does offer the T-shirts shown below in their clearance section.  In relation to being sexist, the only facts you can use to make a sexist conclusion is the one T-shirt is unisex, while the other is a traditional female cut, with the shortened sleeves.  On the T-shirts, two words stand out as being different.  The unisex, or easily classified as "male" in relation to a female cut style, show the word "Achieve", while the female cut shows the word "Dream."

I've thought about this and I think there may be a heightened level sensitivity going on here, with the recent sexist Marvel T-shirts.  http://redhotinkers.blogspot.com/2013/04/news-marvel-comics-t-shirts-are-sexist.html

Thinking on this more, I'm not so sure this is a sexist goof or an intended slight against females.  Studies have been conducted which indicate the number of women earning degrees in science, technology, engineering and math has declined in this male-dominated field.  At least here in the USA.  With that said, I'm having a difficult time convincing myself that the word "Dream" is morally negative, demeaning, hurtful and depressing to females in comparison to the word "Achieve."

The slogan on the female cut T-shirt is more apropos to me, in terms of space.  "Explore.  Discover.  Dream." is definitely more fitting than to "Achieve" as displayed on the unisex T-shirt, which I will note, females can wear, too.  Conversely, you won't see many boys wearing the "Explore Discover Dream" female cut T-shirts, which I think is a better slogan for space.  If we're talking about, say, Track & Field events, then yes, I'd say Achieve versus Dream do come across as sexist.  For Space Camp, if one can make an argument for sexists T-shirt, I believe it was unintentional.  

What do you think?


2013-04-16-spacecamp.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment